Los Angeles is known for sunny weather and warm year-round temps, but every now and then we do get hit with a heatwave during the summer months. With average daytime temperatures above 100 degrees on the thermometer, both locals and tourists seek cooler activities to beat the heat. Just because it’s hot doesn’t mean that you can’t still have fun, though!
Here’s five tips for beating a Los Angeles heatwave this summer…
- Get to the Coast: Yes, it will still be hot in Santa Monica, but not nearly as hot as it is elsewhere in Los Angeles. The local heatwave pros know that getting to the coast is the way to go – it takes longer to warm up at the beach in the morning, and cools down quicker in the evening.
- Plan for Some Inside Time: Go use someone else’s air conditioner. If you’re parked near the beach in Santa Monica, you can find plenty of air-conditioned restaurants, stores & movie theaters to spend a couple hours during the peak of the heat in the afternoon. You can find all of this and more at the Third Street Promenade.
- Plan for Some Outside Time Too: Pack a brunch to eat on the beach in the late morning, or spend a few hours on the Pier in the evening. Take in the sights from the top of the Ferris Wheel, or play some midway games and enjoy the breeze as the sun sets over the Pacific Ocean.
- Don’t Forget Sun Protection: Sunscreen, hats, umbrellas, more sunscreen. The sun can be brutal, even for short periods of time – and a sunburn today could ruin the rest of your week.
- Stay Hydrated and Eat Salty Snacks: You might be too busy having fun, or just not hungry because it’s so hot, but drinking lots of water, and eating salty snacks can keep your day going. Salty snacks help replace some of the salt lost through sweat
Still Too Hot?
Jump around in the ocean! Santa Monica State Beach is adjacent to the famous Santa Monica Pier, and is a great place to cool off in the ocean water. Walk in to escape the heat or hang out in the water and play in the small to medium sized waves.
In many cases, LA heat waves will cool off after just a day or two. Using these tips, you’ll barely recognize how hot it is outside, and go on enjoying the summer months the way you should be!