Santa Monica’s wedding venues host thousands of weddings and receptions throughout the year because of the beautiful beach, weather, hotel amenities, large group dining, and reception options. Here are some options for having a wedding in Santa Monica that will make your special day unforgettable!
There are 3 common locations for a wedding in sunny Santa Monica:
Weddings on the Beach
Who doesn’t dream of a wedding on a beach, with sand under your toes and sunshine on your shoulders? With 8 mile of pristine coastline, Santa Monica should be one of your top choices for a beach wedding.
Weddings are permitted on Santa Monica State Beach and within Palisades Park. A special permit is not required for wedding ceremonies on the beach but existing beach rules must be obeyed. The following rules apply to small gatherings as well:
- Weddings can be held anywhere on Santa Monica State Beach, as long as lifeguard views are unobstructed.
- Space is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Must have less than 150 participants on site. If over 150 participants, you will be required to obtain a special permit.
- Tables, chairs, runners and small archways are permitted.
- Canopies under 400 sq ft are allowed.
- Stages under 30” high are ok.
- Amplified sound is allowed between 8am and 10pm.
The following is not permitted on the beach or Palisades Park:
- Structures that would require building and safety permits or fire permits
- Tents with side panels
- Vehicles on park turf or pathways, sand, bike path or Ocean Front Walk
- Staking anything into the ground or attaching anything to trees, shrubs, facilities and other amenities
- Blocking sidewalks or pedestrian pathways
- Fires, cooking, alcohol, glass containers and smoking
- Generators are not permitted in parks or on the beach
For more information, please contact the City of Santa Monica Community & Cultural Services Department at 310-458-8300.
Hotel Wedding Venues
Numerous hotels in Santa Monica offer wedding venue and reception space. Here are just a few of the local hotels with available reception space. These hotels are all a short walk to the world famous Santa Monica Pier and Pacific Park:
- Fairmount Miramar Hotel & Bungalows
- Hotel Casa del Mar
- Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
- Viceroy Santa Monica
- The Proper Hotel Santa Monica
- Shutters on the Beach
The Santa Monica Travel & Tourism Sales Department can help you book room blocks, find hotel blocks at all price points and help with special event venue selection. They can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-771-2322.
Unique Wedding Venues
These include unique one-of-a-kind properties, restaurants and multi-purpose spaces. Here are just a few of the many special event venues:
Pacific Park / Seaside Pavilion – Pacific Park is the amusement park located on the historic Santa Monica Pier. The entire amusement Park can be rented exclusively for a wedding / reception for up to 1,500 guests. For more intimate weddings/receptions, the Seaside Pavilion can be reserved. The Pavilion offers space for up to 200 guests and has incredible views of the Pacific Ocean, Malibu Cliffs and Catalina Island.
The Victorian – Originally built near the Hotel Miramar in 1892 as the residence of one of the neighborhood’s founding families, the two-story building was moved to its current location in 1973. The Victorian boasts a total of 15,000 sq ft of event space including the landscaped grounds.
Annenberg Community Beach House – Located on Santa Monica State Beach, Annenberg can accommodate groups of 10 to 400. A popular option during the summer where beachfront ceremonies can turn into evening receptions.
Museum of Flying – Your guests can explore and discover an array of aircraft, aviation themed exhibits, aviation memorabilia, artifacts and aviation art while they learn, mingle and socialize. The museum can accommodate up to 600 guests.
Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Club – This historic landmark classical revival building was created to be both impressive and welcoming – a perfect space for life’s celebrations.
We wish you the best of luck planning your wedding and hope to see you in fabulous Santa Monica soon!
Image courtesy of @sambolina82.